Requirements and Recommendations
- Recombinant DNA protocols should be approved by the Wadsworth Internal Biosafety Committee (IBC) prior to submitting an application. Please contact Dr. Bob Glaser for more information.
- Generation of transgenic mice is covered under the Transgenic and Gene Targeting Core’s IACUC protocol 12-302. Transgenic founder mice will be turned over to the investigator, who will assume full responsibility for their care and maintenance; therefore, the investigator must provide evidence of IACUC approval for these animals at the time of application submission.
- The DNA/RNA must not be infectious to humans or animals and should not require any specific containment conditions.
- Expression studies are recommended prior to application submission if possible.
- Mice remaining in the Transgenic and Gene Targeting Core Facility for greater than 8 weeks after birth will be subject to a per diem housing and maintenance fee.
- It is well understood that many factors can affect the efficient production of transgenic mice. These include various biological and environmental parameters as well as (if not most importantly) the quality of DNA or RNA microinjected. We do our best to optimize these variables and will perform toxicity studies on the DNA before we transfer injected embryos. If the DNA is toxic at very low levels (<0.5ng/ul) we may require further purification of the construct.
We ask that the use of the Transgenic and Gene Targeting Core be acknowledged in any publications directly resulting from services provided by this facility. Co-authorship on any publications resulting from our work is at the investigator’s discretion. The Transgenic and Gene Targeting Core uses materials obtained through the National Hormone and Peptide Program (NHPP). We ask that the investigator acknowledge this in any publications directly resulting from services provided by the Transgenic and Gene Targeting Core. A suggested format is: (PMSG, lot number) was obtained by the State of New York Department of Health Transgenic and Gene Targeting Core through NHPP, NIDDK & Dr. A.F. Parlow.