Published on New York State Department of Health, Wadsworth Center (



Students and non-students 16 years of age and older may be considered for an unpaid volunteer position in the laboratory any time of year.

Consult the Senior Staff[1] and Research Areas[2] pages to identify a specific scientist whose research is of primary interest to you.

Fill out this application form[3] and submit with your resumé to[4].

The Wadsworth Center is located in Albany, NY. Volunteers outside the Capital District may wish to request a remote project; however, such projects are limited.

If there are any questions, please don't hesitate to email[5].

International volunteers

  • Go to our Senior Staff[6] page to identify a researcher.
  • Contact the researcher to determine if they are accepting any volunteers
    • If the researcher is accepting volunteers for the time period in which you are interested (5 week minimum for J1 Visa), provide the researcher with your application form[7] and resumé 
    • If after reviewing your education and experience the researcher agrees to have you in their lab, the researcher should notify human resources who will request the following from you:
      • Either B1 Visitor Status, J1 Visa or F1 Visa
        • NOTE: Wadsworth Center is not an educational institution and cannot sponsor F1 Visas. However, prospective volunteers who already hold an F1 Visa through another institution may apply.
      • Proof of Bachelor of Science degree
      • Proof of financial status to support yourself while in the United States