The Wadsworth Center is a reference laboratory. Use local or commercial laboratory services whenever available.
Call the Order Desk at (518) 474-4175 to order kits to be tested at the Wadsworth Center.
- MALDI-TOF-MS, ITS-PCR, biochemical & morphological tests for all yeasts
- MALDI-TOF-MS for Cryptococcus genotype identification
- Morphological and biochemical tests for all molds
- ITS-PCR test for all molds
- Real time PCR assay for Blastomyces dermatitidis
- Real time PCR assay for Histoplasma capsulatum
- Real time PCR assay for Coccidioides immitis and C. posadasii
- Real time PCR assay for Exserohilum rostratum
- Molecular tests for fungal DNA detection is currently limited to Paraffin embedded tissues, cerebrospinal fluid and bronchial lavage
Antifungal Susceptibility Testing
- Single and two-drug combination testing for molds and yeasts by CLSI broth microdilution
- Single drug testing for yeasts by Sensititre™ YeastOne™ (Y09)
Specimen Collection and Shipping
- Mold and yeast cultures should be shipped at ambient temperature in agar slants
- Primary specimens should be shipped refrigerated
- Formalin fixed samples should be shipped at ambient temperature
Required Specimen Submission Information
If you have access to the Health Commerce System (HCS) and the Clinical Laboratory Information Management System (CLIMS), follow steps below:
- Log onto the Health Commerce System (HCS)
- Select 'CLIMS'
- Select 'Remote Order'
- Click on the tab that indicates the type of sample you would like to submit: human, animal, environmental, etc.
- Fill in the screens, ‘Place the Order’, print form and submit with specimen.
This method provides many advantages over paper submission including specimen tracking, notification when results become available, online access to results and access to testing catalog. Should you encounter difficulty, please access the Reference Guide in the Remote Order application or contact CLIMS.
Note: If you are from a licensed clinical laboratory with a valid PFI number or county or regional health department your HIN/HCS coordinator can grant you access to CLIMS (and create your HCS account if needed). For all other access, the Request for Access to the Wadsworth Center Laboratory Information Management System (CLIMS) form must be completed, signed and faxed to (518) 474-8140 or (518) 473-1326.