Who May Submit Specimens?
- The diagnostic facilities of the Wadsworth Center are a reference service available to laboratories testing specimens from New York State patients.
- Local health departments and clinical laboratories may submit specimens for reference testing to the Bacteriology Laboratory at the Wadsworth Center.
- Private citizens and health practitioners may not directly submit specimens. Please contact your local (city or county) health department to discuss specimen submission when applicable.
- Please use local laboratory services whenever available. Contact us with any questions regarding specimen submission.
Required Specimen Submission Information:
If you have access to the Health Commerce System (HCS) and the Clinical Laboratory Information Management System (CLIMS), follow steps below: If you do not have HCS or CLIMS access see the Note below.
- Log onto the Health Commerce System (HCS)
- Select 'CLIMS'
- Select 'Remote Order'
- Select "Place Order (DOH_4463)"
- Click on the tab that indicates the type of sample you would like to submit: human, animal, environmental, etc.
- Fill in the required information on all the tabs then click "Place this Order"
- Print the form and submit it with the specimen.
If you need more information regarding a test select "Search Catalog". Complete instructions can be found by selecting the "Reference Guide".
This method provides many advantages over paper submission including specimen tracking, notification when results become available, online access to results and access to testing catalog. Should you encounter difficulty, please access the Reference Guide in the Remote Order application or contact CLIMS.
Note: If you are from a licensed clinical laboratory with a valid PFI number or county or regional health department, your HIN/HCS coordinator can grant you access to CLIMS (and create your HCS account if needed). For all other access, the Request for Access to the Wadsworth Center Laboratory Information Management System (CLIMS) form must be completed, signed and faxed to (518) 474-8140 or (518) 473-1326.